B-1? B-2? B-1 B-2? Which One Should You Apply For?

Every person on this planet has this urge of visiting the land of dreams, the United States Of America. And it kind of is understandable, the country itself has so much to offer to every type of traveler from backpackers to families, from solo travelers to group of friends. Once your plane lands in the USA, you feel as if you have come to a completely different part of the world (which technically is true too).

The only scary part for travelers though is the visa process. But trust us it is not as scary as it sounds, it is a simple step by step process that can be followed by an individual without any external help (here is the blog around it) but people make it sound difficult. What most people get confused with or in other words the major reason for visa rejections is the application for the incorrect type of visa and hence due to a large number of rejections, everyone thinks it is a difficult process. Today we are taking a dig at Tourism and Business visas for the US and showing you the comparison around them, so that you don’t make a mistake while applying for your next US visa, hope this clarifies doubts of many travelers alike.

B-1 B-2 Visa

  • You apply for this visa when,
    • Purpose of your trip to the US is for a temporary visit, such as business, pleasure, or medical treatment
    • It is for a limited period of time
  • Some of the activities permissible on a B-1/B-2 visa are:
    • Going on vacation and Visiting family members
    • Attending business meetings
    • Participating in work-related training
    • Receiving medical treatment
    • Undertaking independent research
    • Performing missionary work
  • Visa has a validity period (from 1 to 10 years)
  • It allows you to stay in the country for up to 180 days at a time or to enter the country multiple times during a year
  • Some of the activities prohibited on a B-1/B-2 visa are:
    • Employment, whether paid or unpaid (some exceptions apply)
    • Receive education which credits to a degree
    • Arrive in the US as a part of a crew of a ship or an aircraft
    • Work as a journalist or other information media
    • Perform before a paying audience
    • Live permanently or long-term in the US
  • Documents

B-1 Visa

B-1 Visa is suitable for:

  • Consulting with business associates
  • Traveling for a scientific, educational, professional or business convention, or a conference on specific dates
  • Negotiating a contract
  • Participating in short-term training
  • Documents

B-2 Visa

B-2 Visa is suitable for:

  • Tourism
  • Vacation
  • Visit with friends or relatives
  • Medical treatment
  • Participation in social events hosted by fraternal, social, or service organizations
  • Participation by amateurs in musical, sports, or similar events or contests, if not being paid for participating
  • Enrollment in a short recreational course of study, not for credit toward a degree (for example, a two-day cooking class while on vacation)
  • Documents


  • These visas can be issued in either single entry or multiple entry formats
  • It allows the temporary visitor to enter the US for an initial stay of no more than six months

Please feel free to share this blog with travelers who could benefit from it, have a safe trip to America!

Leave a Reply