On a student visa in the US? Let’s visit Canada now!

Every student studying in the United States of America has a dream of traveling to Canada once during their student life or during their OPT period. The confusion is, how to get the visa for Canada from the US itself without coming back to the home country. Well, we are here to make your life easy folks, here is an entire process to get your Canadian tourist visa from the US. Buy us a beer later (wink).

The Process

There is a two-step process to obtain a Canadian visa in the United States.

  • Apply online on CIC website by filling up forms (http://www.cic.gc.ca/), uploading supporting documents and paying the fees. Within next 2-4 weeks, CIC will evaluate your application details and make a decision. (This may take lesser time in certain cases)
  • If approved, you will be asked to submit your passport to VAC for visa stamping. Depending upon the shipping transit times, the stamping process can also take up to 4-10 business days.
Documents Required

You will have to make sure you meet following requirements (have documents) before applying for the visa.

  • Have valid travel documents
    • Passport with minimum validity of 6 months
    • US visa validity (to get a re-entry)
    • You may have to obtain travel endorsement (signature) from International Programs Office of your university (if there is one)
    • I-94 card should be there with the passport
    • Valid I-20
    • Your student ID card
    • If you are on OPT then valid EAD card
  • Proof of adequate finances for your stay (the amount of money that you will have to show can be calculated depending on how long you will stay and if you will stay in a hotel, or with friends or relatives)
    • Or you can show a person sponsoring your trip, in this case, you would require documents of the sponsor
  • Copy of transcripts (for re-entry)
  • Need to be in good health, medical documents supporting it
  • No criminal or immigration-related convictions
  • Documents convincing an immigration officer that you have ties—such as a job, home, financial assets or family—that will take you back to your home country in the case of paper application/deportation
  • Covering letter convincing an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your visit
  • Letter of invitation from someone who lives in Canada (this may or may not be required)

Note: The document mentioned above is a general list for students, there may be variations according to your place of application in US and type of visa you hold in the US, but it would be on similar lines. We would recommend you to carry all the US visa-related documents during your trip to Canada for re-entry into the US.

Easy, isn’t it? What are you waiting for? Call your friends right now, share this blog with them and make a plan to explore the country of Maple trees!

Leave a Reply